Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
Super Lawyers
Super Lawyers Rising Stars
Maryland State Bar Association
Top 100 Trial Lawyers
DC Bar
Maryland Association for Justice
American Bar Association
Prince George's County Bar Association

Navigating Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

What do I do if I get Into an Accident With Someone Who Doesn’t Have Insurance?

If you live in Bowie, Greenbelt, Hyattsville, Clinton, Laurel, College Park, Landover or anywhere in Prince George’s County, you know that car accidents happen. Even after a car accident, there is a peaceful comfort knowing that either your car insurance or the other driver’s insurance can help pay for any of expenses for your injuries or vehicle damage. Car insurance is mandatory for registered vehicles in Maryland. However, the Insurance Research Council estimates 12.4% of Maryland drivers to be uninsured. That figure makes it more likely that a driver in Prince George’s County Maryland may not have any or even enough insurance.

When you are involved in a collision with a driver who does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance to cover the damages, you will have to seek assistance from you own insurance company to cover your damages if you are properly insured. Uninsured motorist coverage is coverage that protects people when they are involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist who is found to be at fault. Underinsured motorist coverage is coverage that protects people when they are involved in an accident with a motorist that does not have adequate coverage to satisfy the loss from the accident. The injured person can make a claim against their own policy for uninsured or underinsured motorist benefits. The difficulty in these claims arises when insurance companies place restrictions on how these policies are paid out. These actions are a breach of contract action and are handled as such rather than a straight negligence claim. It is important to begin the process of making this claim as soon as you find out that the other driver has no insurance or inadequate insurance.

If you have been involved in a collision with an uninsured or underinsured driver, you must report the accident and any injuries to your car insurance company. If you suffered injuries that may not be covered by adequate insurance, you should talk to an experienced Maryland accident attorney to help you recover. A Maryland Injury Attorney, like the team at Foran & Foran, P.A., can make sure that your interests are protected.

We represent clients throughout Bowie, New Carrolton, Greenbelt, Hyattsville, Laurel, and others in the region. Our personal injury lawyers have almost 70 years of combined experience dealing with these complex claims. Please contact us today to discuss your uninsured motorist or underinsured motorist claim. Call us at (301) 441-2022. Or contact us online. Let Our Family Help Your Family!

Client Reviews
“John Foran is very knowledgeable, thorough, and kind. He takes time to explain legal terms and the process of your case. I'm happy that I found him.” Chauncey
“Ryan Foran is an excellent attorney, responds to his emails and communicates to the point. Mary is also an excellent paralegal secretary. Thanks Foran and Foran.” Gee M.
“Five star review. Great team to work with. Highly recommend” Susan R.