10 Tips to safely walking or cycling in Prince George's County
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2017, there was one pedestrian traffic death every 88 minutes. The NHTSA also estimated that 137,000 pedestrians were treated in emergency rooms for injuries. Despite the fact that most people drive to get from one location to another destination, at some point in a day, everybody is technically a pedestrian. Unlike other types of collisions in the State of Maryland, pedestrian fatalities continue to increase. In 2018, pedestrian fatalities increased over 3%. It is important to ensure your safety when walking or cycling in Bowie, Greenbelt, Hyattsville, Clinton, Laurel, College Park and Landover Maryland.
- Make sure your moves are predictable surrounding drivers
- Follow the rules of the road and obey any signals that govern cross-walks
- Ride in designated bike lanes and/or walk on sidewalks whenever possible
- Where there is no sidewalk, walk facing the direction of the oncoming traffic at a distance that is safe
- Remain vigilant and alert the entire time
- If possible, do not allow yourself to be distracted by electronic devices that take your attention from the road
- If you are walking, cross the street where there are crosswalks and/or intersections where pedestrians can generally be expected
- Make sure that you are paying attention to all directions which cars could appear from
- NEVER ASSUME THAT A DRIVER CAN SEE YOU.
- Make direct eye-contact with the driver. Wait for them to acknowledge you to ensure you are seen.
- Be visible!
- Wear neon, reflective or other bright clothing. Have a flashlight handy when walking or biking at night.
- Pay attention to cars entering or exiting driveways or backing up in parking lots.
- Stay sober when walking and cycling as certain substances impair motor skills as well as judgment.
If you follow these steps, you as a pedestrian or cyclist are putting yourself in the best position to stay safe. However, you are not in control of drivers. If you are involved in a collision with a motor vehicle as a pedestrian or cyclist, it is important to have people on your side to ensure that your interests are protected so you can focus on the healing process. Do not take on huge insurance companies alone.
A Maryland Injury Attorney, like the team at Foran & Foran, P.A., can make sure that your interests are protected. Navigating personal injury and personal injury law is very difficult without the proper support. For example, Maryland is one of a few remaining states that have contributory negligence laws. These laws essentially mean that if you are found to be even a fraction of a percent at fault for your accident then the entire claim will be denied and you will not receive any compensation for your injuries. An experienced Maryland motor personal injury lawyer can protect your interests and get you the money that you are entitled to.
We represent clients throughout Bowie, New Carrolton, Greenbelt, Hyattsville, Laurel, and others in the region. Our personal injury lawyers have almost 70 years of combined experience dealing with insurance companies, the courts, and other lawyers. Please contact us today to discuss your pedestrian accident or cyclist accident. Call us at (301) 441-2022. Or contact us online. Let Our Family Help Your Family! We look forward to hearing from you.